Monday, April 12, 2010

Chocolate Milk



I was told that there have been studies done on milk consumption in school and that consuming milk was essential to the health of children. Part of me really wants to believe that, but part of me knows that's just not really true. There are other healthy alternatives to consuming calcium rich foods and did you know that 1 liter bottle of mineral rich water has more calcium than a 200ml glass of part skim milk by more than 100mg? I bet that is a real shocker eh?
The studies also go on to say that flavored milks ensure that more kids will actually consume this all important milk. But does the study tell us that one half pint of Chocolate Milk also contains 25 grams of teeth rotting sugar? Do you know how many teaspoons of sugar that is? Well if you don't, it's ok because I am here to save the day... 6, yes that is right 6 teaspoons of sugar in each little half pint of chocolate milk our little kiddos are drinking in school. I wonder what those little kids are like after lunch, especially those with sugar sensitivities (like my Lance, OMG)
and so no one thinks I might be missing anything, take a look at that sodium... 210 mg of sodium? I just have no clue how anyone is going to sell this as healthy and actually have people believe it.
Please don't forget to take a close look at that ingredients list...you be the judge.

1 comment:

  1. I found this post today when I was trying to find how much sugar is in the school chocolate milk. My daughter has had so many cavities this year and I could not figure out why! The dentist kept telling me it was "sugary drinks" yet we don't buy or make sugary drinks at home. I asked about milk and he said white milk was fine, but chocolate had a lot of sugar. My daughter drinks chocolate milk for breakfast and lunch at school at least 3 days a week!! :( All that sugar just sitting on her teeth all day. That must be the culprit. 4 cavities later... :(

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design By AndreaBetty @ Dilly Dollop