Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jamie’s food fuels pupils’ brain power - Times Online

Jamie’s food fuels pupils’ brain power - Times Online
IT seems Jamie Oliver knows best, as new research suggests the celebrity chef’s healthy school dinners have helped to improve exam results and classroom attendance.

An independent study shows the performance of 11-year-old pupils eating Oliver’s meals improved by up to 8% in science and as much as 6% in English, while absenteeism due to ill-health fell by 15%.

The findings, from a report by the Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER) at Essex University, vindicate the chef’s decision to banish fat-laden Turkey Twizzlers - since replaced with nutrient-rich foods such as coconut fish, and broccoli.

Many schools resisted Oliver’s Feed Me Better campaign due to the greater cost of the food. Some pupils would not stop eating junk food, and parents in one area were even seen passing burger and chips to children through school railings.

Above is the link to the rest of the news article
HERE is a link to the actual study

4 comments:

  1. Yea! If if makes you feel any better, I am one of two parent volunteers at my son's school with 500-ish kids. Oh..I have another blog that feeds into my wordpress one. Different people are able to comment on it that do not show up in the WP one. You should read the comment from the USDA guy talking about his original comment...

    http://mesquiteparent.posterous.com/an-honest-opinion-about-the-food-revolution-f

    gives you an idea of the mindset we are up against...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had some great points. I just had to answer his questions. I am really excited about my meeting with Mrs. Anderson on Monday and hope I can come back and report some good news. Failure is not an option... that has to be my new motto here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the motto! I had to step back for a sec...it was making my head hurt. Good luck on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!
    I got a little peeved today because there was so much being presumed. I need to realize right now that I can't get angry in that sense, I need to channel it the right way or he will end up ultimately being right about everything.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design By AndreaBetty @ Dilly Dollop